Drawing can be nerve-racking at first. Wait. Scratch that. Trying anything new can be nerve-racking in the beginning, so just take a deep breath and be patient, and have fun!
Here are my top tips to keep in mind before you start! You will have a ton of fun, I guarantee it 🙂
- Don’t worry if you can’t draw a straight line. I can’t either! That’s what rulers are for 🙂
- Smudging is an enemy. Avoid it at all costs! If you’re right handed, start drawing on the left side of the paper. If left handed, start on the right side. Simple yet extremely effective. I’m left handed, so much more appreciation to all the lefties out there! Hahaha
- Don’t worry if your drawing looks at least a little bit different than the original. It’s a step towards having your own style of creativity! Way to go! 🙂
- If you’re drawing from a preference photo, make sure to let others know where the photo came from. It probably came from another artist, so be careful with copyright and respect another person’s job well done.
- Stay in control! Let the pencil know who’s the boss! 🙂 If you place your hand and pencil closer to the paper, you will feel more in control. And honestly, you likes being in control of at least one thing? 🙂
You could use those geometric models to help you if needed. I honestly don’t and never used them. I just never liked them. I guess I was always that kind of person who would go straight in and see what I can do without it! But, if you find them helpful, then so be it. That’s fine also 🙂
The most important thing is to have fun 🙂